Oil on thin board, circa 1960. 381x508 mm; 15x20 inches. Signed in oil, lower right.
Provenance: private collection, New Jersey.
This oil painting is a very good and scarce example of Benny Andrews' work at the beginning of his New York period. Andrews studied at the Art Institute of Chicago with funds from the GI Bill after his military service from 1950-53. He then moved to the East Village in New York in 1958, and soon befriended fellow artists Red Grooms, Bob Thompson, Lester Johnson, Mimi Gross and Raphael Soyer. Andrews had his first solo exhibition in New York at the Forum Gallery in 1962.