Apr 27, 2023 - Sale 2634

Sale 2634 - Lot 118

Price Realized: $ 7,250
?Final Price Realized includes Buyer’s Premium added to Hammer Price
Estimate: $ 2,500 - $ 3,500
A dynamic documentation of about 500 travel snapshots taken during the USS Mohican's first cruise.
This rich collection of travel snapshots is assembled in two navigation form books used as travel albums by Captain G.W. Tyler Obit during his last cruise on the Mohican in the Pacific station. The albums combine amateurs and local photographers with high quality images taken during the trajectory of the first service trip of the Mohican and document numerous ports of call. It includes portraits of locals and landscapes, including thrilling portraits of Maori people with details of their tattoos, but also images of the ship. Albumen prints, the images measuring approximately 9x6 3/4 inches (22.9x17.1 cm.), and smaller, and the reverse; the albums also contain a few silver prints (approx. 20) and cyanotypes (approx. 20), some with the location in the negative, and others with the photographer's credit, also in the negative, most with captions in ink under the prints. Tall 4tos, marble paper-covered boards, each with a title label, one with Tyler's name and the other with locations in ink, worn, the second backstrip largely perished. 1885-91

Assigned to the Pacific Squadron, Mohican departed San Francisco, CA, June 27, 1885 to patrol the coast of Mexico and South America. Steaming as far south as Callao, Peru, the sloop of war spent the winter at that port and then departed March 6, 1886 for the South Pacific. For the remainder of the year, the warship cruised in tropical waters, visiting the Marquesas, Tahiti, and the Tuamotu Archipelago, and patrolling Samoan waters to protect American interests from German political interference. In July she paid an official call in Auckland, New Zealand. She surveyed Easter Island in December and then sailed for South America, arriving Valparaiso, Chile, January 14, 1887.

The Mohican operated off the South American coast until sailing from Callao for Honolulu 10 September, and then following protocol activities and patrol in the islands through January 1888 cruised in the South Pacific until returning to Mare Island via Honolulu August 1. The warship underwent an 11-month overhaul and then returned to Polynesian waters to patrol, in addition visiting Sidney, Australia, and Auckland. After a year-and-a-half cruise, she returned to San Francisco April 9, 1891.