?Final Price Realized includes Buyer’s Premium added to Hammer Price
Estimate: $ 3,500 - $ 5,000
GRANTING A CHURCH TO AN ABBEY IN CHESHIRE (WILLIAM; BISHOP OF COVENTRY.) Vellum Document, unsigned, charter granting the church of Rochdale to the Cistercian Abbey of Stanlaw, in Latin. With attached pendant Episcopal seal of William Cornhill in dark green wax showing standing bishop and motto "[S. Wil]ielmus: Dei Gracia [Cove]ntriensis: Episcopus," and remnants of original cloth seal bag. 1 page, 6x9 inches; faint scattered foxing; framed. [Coventry or Chester, 1222]
"William, bishop of Coventry, out of desire for justice and for motives of religion and because of the poverty of the abbey of Stanilaw and because of his desire to increase the good work of the monks there, grants to the abbey the church of Rochdale with all its lands including sufficient arable land to maintain a suitable parson for the church to be appointed by the abbot of Stanilaw and his successors . . . ." Published in William Adam Hulton, ed. The Coucher Book or Chartulary of Whalley Abbey, vol. 1, 1847, no. IV. In 1172, John, Constable of Chester, founded the Cistercian Abbey of Stanlaw in Cheshire, which, in 1296, became incorporated into the Whalley Abbey in Lancashire. This document ends in a listing of witnesses, including Ralph of Maidstone (d. 1245), who was an early Master of Oxford University and its Chancellor in 1231. William of Cornhill (d. 1223) was bishop of Coventry between 1214 and 1223, holding a number of offices in the service of King John (1167-1216), whom William advised concerning the signing of the Magna Carta.
Aliquam vulputate ornare congue. Vestibulum maximus, libero in placerat faucibus, risus nisl molestie massa, ut maximus metus lectus vel lorem.