Untitled (Rural Landscape). Oil on linen canvas. 737x889 mm; 29x35 inches. Signed in oil, lower right. Circa 1940.
Provenance: Private collection, Philadelphia.
Adelaide Lawson studied at the Arts Students League with Kenneth Hayes Miller and later worked in Maine. She began to exhibit in the late teens and early 1920's with other modernist artists at the J. Wannamaker Gallery of Modern Decorative Art and Gallery 134 and later she showed at the Midtown Gallery and the Whitney Studio Club. Lawson was a member, not only of the New York Society of Women Artists, but the Society of Independant Artists, the Salons of America and an early group of painters known as the Dialis.Lawson and her husband, the painter Wood Gaylor, were very active in the New York art world in the early part of the century and their friends included artists William and Marguerite Zorach, Jules Pascin, Yasuo Kuniyoshi, and Stefan Hirsch, Lawson and Gaylor moved to Glenwood Landing, Long Island in 1932 where they gave art classes and mounted exhibitions in their barn. Bio courtesy of Julie Heller Gallery and the New York Society of Women Artists.