HALL, GEORGE P. & SON Metropolitan Museum of Art (now the "American Wing") * Empire Building. Together, 2 architectural studies from turn-of-the-century New York City. Silver prints, each approximately 10 1/4x17 1/2 inches (26x44.5 cm.), and the reverse, flush mounted on linen, the second with Hall's credit, title, and date in the negative; both with one margin (at the left side and top edge) bearing punched holes. 1898 and 1899
George P. Hall & Son was a commercial photography studio that operated out of Manhattan from 1886 through 1914, producing views of New York City. Hall, Sr. began his photographic career as a daguerreotypist in Dayton, Ohio, and moved to New York City around 1872 where he opened his studio in 1875. His son, James S. Hall, joined his father in the business in 1886. The pair ran the studio together until the father's death in 1900. James Hall continued to operate the studio until 1914.