Casein and oil on illustration board, circa 1955. 765x565 mm; 30x22 inches. Signed in oil, lower right recto, and titled in pencil, verso.
Ex-collection Canfield Gallery, Sante Fe, with the label on the frame back; acquired from the former by private collection, Kansas.
Lockwood (1894-1963) studied at the University of Kansas and the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. After serving in the Army in 1917, he studied in Paris at the Academie Ranson and was exposed to European modern movements such as Cubism and Futurism that would influence his work. In the 1920s, he moved to Taos, New Mexico and became part of the artist's colony in the area. In the 1930s he worked for the WPA and also began a teaching career at University of California, Berkeley and the University of Kansas, Lawrence before settling in Taos after his retirement. Throughout his career, he worked in a range of Modern styles embracing new theories and approaches towards visual art that arose in the first half of the 20th century.