Charcoal on cream wove paper, circa 1945-50. 406x356 mm; 16 1/2x14 inches. Inscribed in pencil (faded), lower right.
Provenance: acquired directly from the artist; thence by descent to a private collection.
After his army service in World War II, Smith returned to Cleveland, and attended the Cleveland School of Art (now the Cleveland Institute of Art). By 1950 he had moved to Los Angeles where he worked nights in the sign division of Lockheed Aircraft, and studied at the Chouinard Art Institute from 1956-60. Bio courtesy of Susan Teller Gallery.