104 East 25th Street, New York, NY 10010  | 
(212) 254-4710  |  Mon - Fri, 10AM - 6PM
Follow Us:
  • We are happy to call you during the auction and place bids on your behalf. To arrange phone bidding, please call Swann's bid department during business hours.

    (212) 254-4710 ext. 0
    Mon - Fri 10AM - 6PM


    Or, e-mail a list of lots with the sale number and your contact information to phonebids@swanngalleries.com. Be sure to include a phone number where we can reach you.

    Bids may also be submitted via fax. Send a list of lots with the sale number and your contact information to (212) 979-1017. You will receive a confirmation before the sale.

    Sale 2095 | Lot 3
    Price Realized: $19,200With Buyer's Premium
    Show Hammer Price
    • Click Image To Enlarge

    • Sale 2095 Lot 3

      "WE ARE DETERMINED TO CARRY THE PLACE OR FALL IN THE ATTEMPT" ARNOLD, BENEDICT. Important Autograph Letter Signed, "B. Arnold," to Silas Deane, detailing the American army's position at Quebec and relating plans to either attack the city or to blockade it, explaining the importance of taking the Fort and hoping for reinforcements. With a postscript additionally Signed with initials. 3 pages, folded 4to sheet with integral address leaf; loss to a few words on the third page from opening, separations at folds on the address leaf repaired with cellotape at an early date but with no resulting staining on verso. "Camp before Quebec," 16 December 1775

      Estimate $12,000 - 18,000

      "We arrived before this place, the 5th Ins.t & immediately set about erecting a Battery, which we Compleated, three Days Since, mounting six twelve & six Pounders, within 500 yards of St. John's Gate. The Severity of the weather retarded us much, but the Fortitude & perseverance of the Troops overcame every obsticle of Frost, a Continual Fire of the Enemy from heavy Cannon & want of allmost every kind of material & tools to work with. We have Lost six men killed & as many wounded. Twice we have set the Town on fire from a five mortar Battery in the suburbs of St. Roc's, within 200 Yards of the walls, but it was soon extinguished. Yesterday Gen.l Montgomery sent a flagg to Gov.r Carlton who was refused Admitance & ordered to retire, as, the Governor, would receive no message. This evening we held a Counsell of Warr. It is proposed by the Gen.l to Storm the Place, imediately. If the troops come into it, heartily, I make no Doubt of Success as we have near a thousand effective men, & the Garrison Consists of only fifteen hundred, near thirds of whom are either disaffected, or wish us Success. If this Plan of Operation should not take place, we shall be obliged to turn the Siege into a blockade & wait the effect of time, & more Troops, & Artillery which the General has sent to Montreal for. I believe it imposable for the Enemy to hold out untill April, as they have from the best intelligence not more than three months Provisions & less of wood. We are Determined to Carry the Place or Fall in the Attempt . . ."

      Price Realized (with Buyer's Premium) $19,200