Nov 30, 2006 - Sale 2095

Sale 2095 - Lot 3

Price Realized: $ 19,200
?Final Price Realized includes Buyer’s Premium added to Hammer Price
Estimate: $ 12,000 - $ 18,000
"WE ARE DETERMINED TO CARRY THE PLACE OR FALL IN THE ATTEMPT" ARNOLD, BENEDICT. Important Autograph Letter Signed, "B. Arnold," to Silas Deane, detailing the American army's position at Quebec and relating plans to either attack the city or to blockade it, explaining the importance of taking the Fort and hoping for reinforcements. With a postscript additionally Signed with initials. 3 pages, folded 4to sheet with integral address leaf; loss to a few words on the third page from opening, separations at folds on the address leaf repaired with cellotape at an early date but with no resulting staining on verso. "Camp before Quebec," 16 December 1775

Additional Details

"We arrived before this place, the 5th Ins.t & immediately set about erecting a Battery, which we Compleated, three Days Since, mounting six twelve & six Pounders, within 500 yards of St. John's Gate. The Severity of the weather retarded us much, but the Fortitude & perseverance of the Troops overcame every obsticle of Frost, a Continual Fire of the Enemy from heavy Cannon & want of allmost every kind of material & tools to work with. We have Lost six men killed & as many wounded. Twice we have set the Town on fire from a five mortar Battery in the suburbs of St. Roc's, within 200 Yards of the walls, but it was soon extinguished. Yesterday Gen.l Montgomery sent a flagg to Gov.r Carlton who was refused Admitance & ordered to retire, as, the Governor, would receive no message. This evening we held a Counsell of Warr. It is proposed by the Gen.l to Storm the Place, imediately. If the troops come into it, heartily, I make no Doubt of Success as we have near a thousand effective men, & the Garrison Consists of only fifteen hundred, near thirds of whom are either disaffected, or wish us Success. If this Plan of Operation should not take place, we shall be obliged to turn the Siege into a blockade & wait the effect of time, & more Troops, & Artillery which the General has sent to Montreal for. I believe it imposable for the Enemy to hold out untill April, as they have from the best intelligence not more than three months Provisions & less of wood. We are Determined to Carry the Place or Fall in the Attempt . . ."